6981 AH Doesburg
+31 (0) 313 484 948
+31 (0) 313 484 936
SC - CUPA IMPLEMENTATION LAB NOVI SAD - SERBIA
Short description: NOVI SAD
Date: 28 - 30 March 2012
Venue: Cultural Centre of Novi Sad
DOWNLOAD THE REPORT:
• English Report (IL-NOVI-SAD-report-2012-06-27.pdf); size: 27,5Mb)
THE STUDY CASE: "FISHERMAN ISLAND AND "CHINESE QUARTER" OF NOVI SAD
The preparatory visit that was made November 2011 let to the selection of the area that is formed by the Fisherman’s and Kamenica island and the Chinese Quarter for the CUPA Implementation Lab that was held in Novi Sad.
The area selected for the CUPA Implementation Lab is the Fisherman’s and Kamenica island and the neighbouring Chinese Quarter.
Development here has come to a stand still and despite the enormous potential of
the waterfront at the River Danube, the cohesion of the present functions in the area does not match this potential.
Entrepreneurship gets lost in bureaucracy. And bureaucracy seems uncomfortable in having to deal with private initiative and entrepreneurship.
Especially on the two islands in the Danube many small buildings were built without building permission or technical infrastructure. This seems to be a problem all over Serbia. There seems
to be little caring identification with the area.
The upkeep of the public space shows signs of neglect. Low cost cleaning up activities would improve the quality of space substantially and would help to gain an atmosphere of identification with the area.
Only the newly build promenade between the Chinese Quarter and the Danube with its
cycling lanes, Walking lanes, running lanes which normally are used in stadiums, dustbins and lights every 25 - 50 meters, seems to be very clean but somewhat oversized and expensive. However this could be a good value to build on.
The participants of the workshop were encouraged to identify different aspects of such decisions and to suggest possible spatial proposals.
QUESTIONS, AMONGST OTHERS, ARE:
- what would be beneficial for the city in terms of spatial development?
- what kind of functions may become new attractions for developers and city residents?
- what and where should new structures be build in order to provide best possible access to the site?
- how will redevelopment of an area influence the society in terms of sociological, economic and cultural aspects?
- how to make the most of river in terms of water sports, recreational facilities, leisure, etc.?
The Novi Sad Implementation Lab came to observations and suggestions.
After having studied the study case dossier intensively and after having received the input of the source persons that presented their views on the study case and after having visited the area by bus and on foot.
All this enabled the participating international practitioners from seven different nationalities to develop their own judgement on the problem statement as put forward by the host.
The first round of discussions about the problem statements led to a rephrasing the originally formulated problem statement into two questions (see also Chapter 3):
- The what question: What mix of functions in the area’s:Fisherman’s and Kamenica island and the Chinese Quarter endorses the municipal policy aims of stimulating tourism, agriculture and ICT ?
- The how question: How do we create public-public and public private partnerships that contribute to the spatial concept we would like to recommend?
The recommendation the international group of practitioners arrived at, were presented in the power point presentation (see final report).
• Go to the page with the first impression (of the preparatory visit).
DRAFT STUDY CASE including MAPS
• Go to the Draft study case page
On behalf of Tina Vienna and the Donauhanse league and the City of Vienna,
Managing director International Intervision Institute