6981 AH Doesburg
+31 (0) 313 484 948
+31 (0) 313 484 936
SC - CUPA IMPLEMENTATION LAB KRAKOW - POLAND
Implementation Lab - CUPA KRAKÓW
Date: 11th - 14th October 2011
Venue: Municipality Office City of Kraków
DOWNLOAD THE FINAL REPORT:
• English Final Report (IL-KRAKOW-2011-Final-Report-V05.pdf; 16,7Mb)
(An updated version !)
The study case: KRAKÓW CHANEL
Problems of possible flooding of Kraków by Vistula River and its branches have been well known for ages.
Over a hundred years ago, an idea to build a “Kraków Chanel” on Vistula River developed. Its aim was to mitigate the surplus of water and let flow pass by sharp bend of the riverbed at the foothill of the Royal Castle. The idea however has never been executed.
Today, the embankments of the river are reinforced, they are higher than before, and seem to suffice in protecting the city against a 100-year water flooding.
Various studies and researches do not necessarily recommend building the Chanel. The final decision has not yet been undertaken, however the site for the future possible Chanel is still reserved in all plans.
In our workshop we intend to take under consideration two different options and discuss alternative solutions.
No doubt, that in both cases, we should achieve improvement of the existing space, and find a set of completely new characteristics based on existing values. The participants of the workshop will be encouraged to identify different aspects of such decisions and to suggest possible spatial proposals.
Questions, amongst others, are:
- what would be beneficial for the city in terms of spatial development ?
- what kind of functions may become new attractions for developers and city residents ?
- what and where should new structures be build in order to provide best possible access to the site ?
- how will redevelopment of an area influence the society in terms of sociological, economic and cultural aspects ?
- how to make the most of river in terms of water sports, recreational facilities, leisure, etc.?
• Go to the page with the first impression (of the preparatory visit).
DRAFT STUDY CASE including MAPS
• Go to the Draft study case page
On behalf of Tina Vienna and the Donauhanse league and the City of Vienna,
Managing director International Intervision Institute