6981 AH Doesburg
+31 (0) 313 484 948
+31 (0) 313 484 936
SC - CUPA IMPLEMENTATION LAB BRASOV - ROMANIA
In the framework of the CUPA programme the seventh Implementation Lab Workshop was held on Wednesday 26th till Friday 28th of November 2014 in Braşov (Romania)
The Final report of the CUPA BRASOV Implementation Lab is available. (Update: 21st february 2015)
DOWNLOAD THE FINAL REPORT (with CV update):
From 3 - 4 September 2014 a short preparatory visit was made to Braşov and the mountainous area Poiana Braşov (Romania), dedicated to out-door and mostly winter ski activities.
The initiative taken by the Regional Centre Competitiveness and Training EUSDR “Danubian Green House” CASA VERDE a DUNĂRII to invite the core members of the CUPA programme, Volkmar Pamer of the Planning Department of Vienna, Vincent Neumayer of TINAVIENNA and Huibert Haccoû of the International Intervision Institute, is to organize an Implementation lab on the issues that especially the Poiana Braşov area faces. And help identifying development strategies for the tourist sector for the resort.
DOWNLOAD THE REPORT OF THE PREPERATORY VISIT:
• Preperatory Visit 3-4 september 2014
The CUPA team was cordially received by the president and vice presidents of the CASA VERDE a DUNĂRII Foundation, respectively: mr Ovidiu Slimac, mr Constantin Grosu and mr Sorin Peligrad. As well as by mr Cristian Macedonschi, city councilor of Braşov and president of the association for the touristic development of Braşov and mr Ciprian B. Vişan Consultant business development collaborating with the Casa Verde. Later we were joined by the representatives of the Braşov Metropolitan Agency mr Radu Colţ and his colleagues and representatives of the City of Braşov.
After a quick glance at the selection of interesting touristic sites in the City of Braşov the party was introduced to the study area itself: the ski resort Poiana Braşov.
The second day of the preparatory visit was reserved for a first exchange of impressions and ideas on what the focus should be of the Implementation Lab that was agreed to be held from Wednesday 26 November till Friday 28 November 2014.
THE CASE STUDY
Characteristics of the study case Poiana Braşov
It's an important ski resort in Romania as well as a in the neighborhood of Braşov City.
Poiana Braşov is located in the Carpathian Mountains at an altitude of just above 1000 meters, at the base of the Postăvarul peak. A 3D rendering of the resort location is available.
Braşov itself is considered to be one of the most important cities of Romania. It is a major industrial center as well as a sought of touristic destination. It attracts visitors from all over the world for its historic center as well as for the best winter sport location in the country – the Poiana Braşov resort.
The main attraction within the resort is the 20 km of slopes, which allow for skiing and snowboarding, both by beginners and highly experienced users. The construction of an artificial lake close to the peak of the mountain in the last years allows the artificial snow installations to work in optimal conditions. Also, the mountain scenery and the mountain trails are highly appreciated by the tourists. It is also worth mentioning that a lot of amateur and professional national and international athletes come to Poiana Braşov to improve their physical condition.
According to the inviting Danubian Green House foundation the main challenges for the sustainable development of the Poiana Braşov resort are related to:
- Defining (or re-defining) the touristic development potential of the Poiana Braşov resort for a long term strategy.
- Specific problems and opportunities that arise from the vicinity ofa major city and its surrounding urban functional area.
- The need to improve accessibility. The resort is accessible by two mountain roads, one of which starts from the center of the city of Braşov. Also, the limited parking space generates traffic congestion and difficulty of getting around in the resort.
- Providing a diverse portfolio of services and touristic attractions for the visitors, all year around. For the moment, the number of tourists varies, with spikes during the winter season and mid-summer weekends. It is worth mentioning that on a radius of 20-30 km around Poiana Braşov, there are a lot of touristic attractions including the historic center of Braşov with the famous Black Church, the Bran Castle (also known as Dracula’s castle), the Râşnov castle, various fortified churches, the Braşov Fortress, the ski resorts of Predeal and Sinaia, etc.
- Providing the infrastructural prerequisites necessary to increase the rate of occupancy for all the hotels and guest houses in the resort during the entire year.
The preparatory visit offered the possibility to explore and assess these issues as fruitful focuses for an Implementation Lab. Aiming at identifying development strategies for the tourist sector in the Poiana Braşov.
STUDYCASE DOSSIER [Update 3rd November 2014]
- Download Project information Brasov document (PDF; 1 Mb)
- Download Brasov Highway map ( 8,3 Mb)
- Download the Final Briefing CUPA Invitation and Programme